Tuesday, June 20, 2006

The Storm, She's-a-Coming!


Yesterday we had an interesting storm roll in. I was on my way to Lowe's (heading North) to buy a new window unit a/c, so I could at least have some working a/c in the house (central unit's out too). While in the store, I literally started to speedwalk to get my shopping done so I could get into the truck before the downpour. It looked imminent. This storm was unlike some of the exciting spring storms we've received - granted, it was forewarned with lots of weather alerts for hail and high winds, but it was completely still and silent in its approach. Looking at the clouds from underneath, the sky was almost black, and it was like watching water boil from the underside of a glass pot. I have since learned that those were mantiss (sp?) clouds, more evident in later shots. Turns out, as threatening as the appearance of these clouds were, I had plenty of time to get to the truck, get home, take the purchases inside, grab the tripod and camera, and head into the yard to grab some sky shots. And, I was not the only one doing so. All along my drive there were lots of people outside, watching the sky. Which was reassuring - it meant that the awe I experienced watching this one roll in was not reserved strictly for newcomers.

No comments: