Saturday, June 10, 2006

Now for the animal shots. I took many more but even the quality on these chosen ones isn't so great for the most part. I was hiking without a tripod. I make it a point not to ever carry a flash and to use natural lighting. Combine those two facts with the fact that most wildlife likes to become active at dawn or dusk - low light situations - and the resulting slower capture speed resulted in a number of less-than-crystal-clear images. That was the case when I encountered this male moose after rounding a bend in the trail. He was eating, and seemed uninterested or concerned with me. I didn't see a mom and calf around, so figured I didn't have to back from him. But, because of the low light, I kept getting blurry photos of him - moving his head up and down while eating, etc. I decided to try one more time for a photo, but thought I'd try to make a moose sound to get his attention (meaning he'd stand still for a moment while I captured his image). Well, I don't know what sounds moose make. So, I mooooo-ed. God only knows what he thought about that sound, but the tactic worked for capturing the image, without "real" disruption or disturbance to the animal. Other than hearing that awful moooo sound. Posted by Picasa

No comments: