Friday, October 19, 2012

You Lookin' at Me?



 

This week has been surprisingly busy.  I've opted to trade in my trusty steed, Tessa the Toyota, for a smaller, younger, faster model.  I feel a bit like a traitor.  My 99 4Runner and I have had some fantastic adventures together over the last decade plus....but, alas, I bought her in Houston, which is a 2 wheel-drive market.  Rear-wheel drive to be exact.  Unfortunately, that doesn't work well in winter climates that can have snow accumulation, or even ice.  If I would have been in this region when I bought her, I would have only seen 4 wheel drive options.  At any rate, I think she knew the time had come.  She's been a good, strong companion - even acting like a 4WD in rugged parts of the Canyonlands in Utah and some forest areas here in the Big Horns.  As I was driving the famous Cloud Peak Skyway, we encountered ice at elevations above 9,000 feet.  I forgot - it had been raining the day and night before.  My trusty steed worked well moving into second gear and managing the ice - for the most part.  We did get into a fishtail moment - it only lasted for a second - but when you're on a mountain pass facing a 7% downhill grade, the disaster scenario that could entail escalates rapidly in your mind.  Ironically, we were on our way to Sheridan to look at vehicles.

In the end, I selected a vehicle that I'd had my eye on for a while - a little smaller, same V6 engine, but all-wheel drive and notably better mileage.   It was the right thing to do for the coming winter and for the way I like to engage my vehicle.  I'll still miss old Tessa - I think that vehicle is my longest relationship in recent memory (not including family).  

Here are a few photos from the last couple of days - hope you enjoy!!


This is our morning routine - we go down by the stream next to the cabins.  I do a few little yoga stretches, and my dog sniffs around to monitor last night's deer activity.  Below, a snap of the stream running through....


Have you ever seen an outhouse with a mini-solar panel?  It seems like a dichotomy - but in this case, the solar panel is part of a wireless weather monitoring system.  This panel captures the outdoor temperature near the stream.  The outhouse?  Not sure if it works - I don't have a burning need to try it out!


This is an off-the-cuff, mobile phone snapshot of the entrance to Mr. G's ranch.  The colors, the light - everything seemed to beckon on that approach!






No comments: