Friday, November 16, 2012

Snow Woes

First off, let me stipulate - I'm not complaining!!  But if I were, it might sound something like this:

Lately, I've been reveling in the snow, but it's starting to melt now - and the problems that causes are twofold.

One is that the underside of my vehicle is covered in what I affectionately call "road snot" - the partially melted, then re-frozen drippings of driving. The ugly part of that is when they congeal all up under the wheel wells to the point of rubbing on the tires during driving. I've asked around and the options are to either not drive in the snow, get the vehicle "lifted" (which I seriously might do, so it's as high as the 4Runner was), or 'bang it out with a long stick' (which is what I currently do).

The other issue that the melting causes is with my dog. I'm going to have to curb her off-leash activity at the ranch. The other day at the ranch, she rolled around in a slushy mixture of snowmelt, mud, cowpiss, and manure (oh, and oats). Now, the stream is too cold for her to take a dip into for rinsing purposes, and she is an anti-bath dog. My solution has been to buy cans of dry shampoo, spray her down good, let it dry, brush that out, then rub her down 2 or 3 times with baby diaper wipes. She seems to love that - even leaning in to me - but I'm not keen on doing this all the time.

Interestingly, when I let her walk off leash around the house, she doesn't get dirty - somehow, even though where I walk is mud 2 inches thick, she is able to find remaining solid spots of snow and walk on those. So, it's really only at the ranch that I have to watch her. Which means I probably won't be taking her to the ranch much when it's muddy. 

Shortly, I'm off to lunch with two of my favorite locals - Bret, the handyman from the ranch, and Mr D - at the Hyattville Cafe N Bar.  


No comments: