Saturday, November 10, 2012

Finally!! Snow

I couldn't believe my eyes when I read that the Weather Service had issued a severe weather alert for the tiny hamlet of Hyattville recently - advising of 50 degree temperature drops (from our recent warm run) as well as the chance for snow as a result of Winter Storm Brutus moving south from Canada.

Sure enough, the flurries started about mid-day Friday and have continued non-stop (albeit with varying strength) since then.  The accumulation here is 8 inches of snow so far, and it's that glorious, loose, crunchy, diamond-like powder!  Interestingly, the forecast called for 6 inches in the valleys and up to 12 inches closer to Cloud Peak, up on the Cloud Peak Byway.  WY DOT is warning of high winds, black ice, and falling rock on that route, so I'm not in a rush to check out the snow in higher elevations.  We're just at about 4400 feet elevation.

I was also surprised to see a plow truck go by on the paved road.  Hyattville is at the end of WY highway 31, and the plow made it all the way to the end of the road.  All of the actual little streets in town are gravel, and probably won't need clearing or plowing - in my experience in Ohio, I'd prefer a snow-covered gravel drive over concrete or asphalt any day for traction.


This is actually (paved) WY Highway 31, after the plow had gone over it twice!


Another interesting facet is that now I have a vehicle with 4 wheel drive.  Really it's front wheel drive all the time, and when it senses slippage or traction loss on any of the other wheels, it automatically shifts power to the appropriate wheel / drive train.  I was anxious this morning to go for a drive to get used to the feel of this vehicle (a Toyota RAV4).  I have to say, it was quite a pleasant departure from my 4Runner.  I still miss and love my 4Runner incredibly - but she was 2 wheel drive.   Specifically, rear wheel drive, and that is absolutely no good in snow or icy conditions.  Hell, even on gravel she'd lose traction.

At any rate, I went to a big open area off of the BLM road on the south side of town and really opened her up.  I wanted to check acceleration, braking feel, braking speed, and braking distance.  I also wanted to check out traction control using the various settings the vehicle allows me.  In short, let's just say that from a bird's eye view, it might have looked as though some teenager were out doing donuts in their first car in their first snowfall...it was fun and exhilarating   I have more confidence in the handling of the vehicle, but I am aware of the old saying:  the worst side effect of having 4 wheel drive (for many) is overconfidence in the ability of their vehicles.  I plan to avoid representing that cliche.

I'm glad I did the driving exercises today - that leaves me prepared for my early morning trip tomorrow.  For the 97 cows that were trailered down from the mountain last weekend, the Vet is coming tomorrow morning to perform pregnancy tests and vaccinations.  Mr. D has arranged for a "bunch" of home-made cinnamon rolls from the Cafe, and I'll bring those along with an old style percolator coffee pot and supplies.  The high temperature for tomorrow is supposed to be 24, but that might not happen until 3 pm or so.  In the meantime, Mr. D and a few volunteers are rounding up the cows to move them into the corrals tonight, so they'll be there and ready for the Vet visit in the morning.  I know what to expect this time around, having helped on the last batch of cows, but this round is almost twice as many - and I'll be wearing a few layers to boot!  Now if I can figure out a way to keep the cinnamon rolls and coffee manure free, that'd be awesome.  I think I'll try to build a barrel fire as well - pending time.  

Anyway, now that you've read through all of this, here are a few photos.  Enjoy!!!






This is one blissed-out dog!!!


No comments: