Sunday, July 17, 2005

New Zealand 2005. OK, I cut my NZ trip short. My vacation drive is and always has been to get outside and play. I knew I was going to NZ in winter, and even took skiing lessons. What I didn't really count on was absolutely crap weather every day, except for less than 6 hours over 10 days (I kid you not). So, I ended up cutting my NZ trip short, because hiking in really cold rain and fog is just no fun. Unlike hiking in snow or tropical rain, where you either don't really feel the moisture or it is so warm you don't care. I did get some activity in though, but not skiing....the 6 areas I checked either had a good dumping on 30 June and then it melted, or they were able to manufacture snow, but only for the skills expeditions in Queenstown for the Winter fest, which I couldn't get to anyway because the road was close for fog (a new one for me) or because the airport was closed due to fog, or all the guest accommodation was taken because Prince William was checking out the festival along with a lot of rugby fans down for an England and Ireland series against New Zealand. I know that was a long sentence, but it adequately reflects the run on nature of my trying to get outside and have fun on that leg of the trip. This photo is along a hike around Green Lake, near Rotarua on the North Island. Posted by Picasa

No comments: