Sunday, October 01, 2006

Fall Weekend Photos

I was able to use a high enough shutter speed to eliminate motion from the image, but this one long branch - just the one - was slightly moving up and down right in front of me. As though it were waving.
Upper (or lower?) falls at Old Man's Cave, Hocking Hills State Park, SE Ohio.
Fall colors, streamside...
This formation is called "Devil's Bathtub". It's limestone but with an area that's slightly softer (and more easily eroded) than the surrounding stone - so with continuous water flow, it's the soft stuff that gives way. It was interesting to see one of these in water action - the only other type I've experienced has been dry 'sinks' in Utah's canyonlands. Ask me one day to tell you the story of trying to climb down one. Actually, climbing down it was easy - it was the climbing back up that was difficult, without ropes or shoes or my camera - they were all at the top rim, that I was trying to get back upon....but that's another story. This "Devil's Bathtub" has water year-round; just sometimes there's more volume.
Warning!!! Cheesy Caption coming!!!

.........Stairway to Heaven........
Sorry about that. That was my exact impression when I saw these steps, and of course - that triggered the song's memory for a full 22 minutes.

1 comment:

venitha said...

Ooh, I am missing the fall - lovely photos!